About Chinatown Today
Chinatown Today is a non-profit organization with the goal of sharing stories from Chinatown’s past and present so they continue to be part of its future. Our mission is to create spaces where Chinatown’s knowledge holders feel comfortable and empowered sharing their stories with a wider audience. Stories remind us of history, wisdom, and pieces of who we are as diasporic communities. Over the past couple of years, we successfully pivoted to producing accessible online events, creating digital spaces to share in stories and culture through active bystander workshops, our Across Cultures and Generations panel series, and Lunar New Year Celebrations. In 2022, we published the fourth volume of our signature publication, Chinatown Stories, tackling the theme of heat. As we move into our next chapter as an organization, we hope to continue publishing Chinatown Stories and move back towards holding events and place-making in the physical spaces that make up our Chinatown.
Call for Directors
Here at Chinatown Today, we understand that Chinatown stories are diverse, and recognize the importance of making space for new voices and perspectives on sharing Chinatown stories. As the current board approaches two years with Chinatown Today, some members of our team are choosing to step back, creating an opportunity to bring in the next generation of Chinatown storytellers and share space with new leadership. We are currently looking for new board members to work with the remaining members of our board to lead Chinatown Today, with the guidance of departing board members, to help share Chinatown’s stories in 2023 and beyond.
Chinatown today is seeking volunteers from the community to serve on the Chinatown Today Board. For more information, please read below, and if you have further questions, feel free to email email@example.com or message us on instagram! To apply, please fill out the application form by 11:59pm PST November 30, 2022.
As a member of a working board, the commitment is 5-10 hours per month.
Responsibilities include attending biweekly board meetings, with project or task-based work that can include:
- Social media & communications;
- Writing and editing;
- Grant writing;
- Administration duties;
- Hiring of project contractors;
- Managing projects, including our signature publication, Chinatown Stories; and/or
- Bookkeeping and accounting.
Open positions include (more details on each specific position can be provided upon request):
- Social Media:
- The Social Media lead will be responsible for Chinatown Today’s online presence. They will oversee Chinatown Today’s social media accounts, check messages on a weekly basis, design graphics, schedule posts, and help create links and event pages for projects and events.
- The Project lead(s) will work closely with volunteers to plan and execute projects. This will include our signature publication, Chinatown Stories, where the Project lead(s) will work with a contracted editor. After the publication of Chinatown Stories Volume 5 in 2023, they will assist the Treasurer to research and write applications for grant funding.
- The Treasurer will keep financial records and present reports to the board and membership on Chinatown Today’s finances. They are also responsible for Chinatown Today’s budget planning, and managing payments to/from vendors and contributors. They will work with the Project lead(s) to research and apply for grant funding.
- The Secretary will fulfill administrative duties to ensure that Chinatown Today runs smoothly. They will schedule and take minutes for meetings. They will also be responsible for ensuring that Chinatown Today meets requirements such as filing annual reports, renewing our business license, and overseeing the firstname.lastname@example.org email.
- Vice President:
- The Vice President will generally oversee volunteer and (external) stakeholder engagement, including, for volunteers, recruitment, onboarding, interviews, and sending out the volunteer newsletter. They will preside over meetings where the President is unavailable and carry out other duties delegated by the President or Board.
Positions may be merged or created outside of those listed above, in consultation with the respective applicants and their skills/interests.
We welcome those with all levels and types of experience, and urge you to join us through this great opportunity to share your knowledge and learn new skills. Existing board members will help new board members transition into their roles.
Our current board will review all applications and notify successful applicants via email by December 7, 2022. Successful applicants will be required to attend Chinatown Today’s online Annual General Meeting (AGM) on December 21, 2022.
To apply for the Chinatown Today Board, please submit your resume and fill out the application form by 11:59pm PST November 30, 2022.
We may follow up with further questions, and will send an email notification to successful applicants by December 7, 2022. Successful applicants will be required to attend Chinatown Today’s online Annual General Meeting (AGM) on December 21, 2022.