As the finale to a summer of protest events at the Chinatown Memorial Square, #SaveChinatownYVR is hosting a Thank You dance party for supporters of the community in the fight against gentrification, featuring a film screening from the late Sid Chow Tan’s archives, carnival games, food, and of course, dancing. Music will be provided by DJs WHICHNANCY 李南屏, TRAXXSTAR 梁家傑, and FAGOFCOLOUR 牛奶哥.
When: Saturday, September 16 from 6:30 to 10:00pm
Where: Chinatown Memorial Plaza next to 105 Keefer
Register on Eventbrite.
What to expect:
- Music by DJs WHICHNANCY 李南屏, TRAXXSTAR 梁家傑, and FAGOFCOLOUR 牛奶哥
- Cheeky anti-gentry carnival games like smash 105 Keefer piñata, and other secret hilarious games you need to show up to see for yourself
- Film screening of late community activist Sid Chow Tan’s films of Chinatown activism (start time ~8:30 or 9pm)
- “Eat 105 Keefer” cake (actual delicious Chinatown-sourced cake)
- Dim sum dinner
- Nostalgic childhood snacks and drinks from Chinatown (think Yakult and VITA)
Things to bring:
- Comfortable shoes and attire
- Water to stay hydrated
- A sweater to keep warm in the evening
- A chair if you want a seat for the film screening (Seating will be limited and prioritized for seniors and those who need it)
More information, including accessibility information is available on the event page.